Good afternoon friends!
The TfC Daily Buffet serves up some of the best articles, videos, and podcasts of the day so you don’t have to spend hours scouring through the garbage to get to the good stuff. Have something you’d like to see on a future menu? Send us a link and we’ll consider it!
1. ‘The Lost Art of Christian Memorization and Why It’s Important‘ – This article popped up in my Facebook feed as something I shared three years ago. It’s short but reminds us of the importance of memorization for the Christian faith. I plan on doing a video this week on Family Devotions – I’ll discuss more on this topic then. In the meantime, if you’ve seen a benefit from memorizing scripture/catechisms/creeds, let me know in the comments.
2. ‘The Election Forces Us To Talk About Race‘ – I’ve been thinking a lot about this issue over the past couple of years. My tendency is the same as many conservative evangelical white people – recognize the strides we’ve made as a country and write off any concerns that racial minorities have. But the fact is, it doesn’t matter if I think it isn’t a problem. If minority Christians feel oppressed, it’s a problem. We need to be open to listening to each other’s concerns and fears. Christian unity can only exist where genuine love is present. And genuine love is patient and kind.
3. ‘Under Caesar’s Sword: On a Christian Response to Persecution‘ – A powerful video on how Christians deal with persecution around the world. The American church could learn a lot by listening to our truly persecuted brothers and sisters.
4. ‘13 Reasons I Never Joined the Contemporary Worship Movement‘ – I enjoy a lot of contemporary ‘worship music.’ With that said, I believe many in the Church (particularly in the 90s) nearly steered the car off the cliff when it comes to this issue. The way many churches have wholly thrown out any song or hymn that wasn’t written in the past 5 years is both foolish and dangerous. I want to encourage you, regardless of your music-proclivities, to read this article with an open mind and genuinely consider the thoughts. You may not come away totally convinced, but I do believe many of the things written here can help refine our understanding of worship/music.
5. ‘The Ministry You Received From The Lord‘ – Orthodox priest Barnabas Powell shares some important thoughts on our call and the importance of fulfilling it. “The neglect of your calling affects everyone around you. And it’s a domino effect as well. Your neglect helps those around you neglect their calling as well.”
Hopefully this will keep you filled up until tomorrow. And remember, if you’ve seen an article, video, or podcast – or if you’ve been reading a really good book – that you think we ought to add to the menu, comment below and we’ll see about putting it on.
And remember, if you subscribe, you can get a free copy of ‘A Disciple’s Manifesto’, my vision for Christian discipleship.